Trip on Bertie of Tamar starting 2018-09-29 in BSANov18

Plymouth – Fowey 29/30 September – report by Bob Buchanan

Yacht. Bavaria 44. “Bertie of Tamar” Skipper. R Buchanan.

Crew. Samantha Buchanan, Becky Goddard, H Hayward, R Paulino, K Lay, C Evans and D Winks

Friday; I arrived at Q.A.BMap at 1400hrs with my daughter Samantha to do the hand over. I was expecting to be met by Simon, but was told that he was at home recuperating after a triple bypass operation. It was a planned operation and everything was going ok. We did the hand over by the time the rest of the crew started to turn up.

The plan was to sail out to Cawsand bay, drop the hook, and have a few beers etc. And a meal on-board. When the rest of the crew finally turned up they said that it would be a little bit bumpy in the night looking at the forecast so let’s have a few beers in the “Chandlers” then a meal on “Bertie” Back on board we had a few more drinks and one of Becky’s excellent pies. After that it was into bed and sleep it off.

Saturday: We slipped our moorings at 0930hrs and motored out towards the breakwater. On the way Becca came up with egg and bacon sarnies for everyone.

The wind was from the east but was F1 about 2/3knts. We motored all the way to Fowey and the wind did not change. We got to FoweyMap and had to berth on the pontoon for an hour until the two speedboats that were on the town quay left .We moved onto the town quay, saving us the bother of getting out the dinghy. We berthed there at 1500hrs.

Not long after, two yachts came in; the first was “Chloe” from Plymouth sailing. She moored up behind us. The next was a Bavaria 36, Nashira. This is the Plymouth sailing temporary replacement for the damaged “Phoebe” She double berthed against us. I recognised the skipper as a dinghy sailor from Portishead sailing club, don’t know his name, but met him at Portishead and also when he has sailed to Shirehampton.

We all decided, except Becky (she wanted to stay on board to read a book) to go into town. We had a walk about, and then went into the Lugger to book a meal for that evening. (1900hrs). After a walk through town, we went into the “Gallants” sailing club, it’s a lovely little place, and very friendly staff. After a few beers, sat outside on the veranda, we went back to the boat, just in time to leave again to go to the “Lugger”. Becky then said that the harbour master had come around, and had relieved us of £35.20. That was without electric. We arrived at the “Lugger” had a few drinks before our meal. The meal we had, was just like the ones we have had before, “excellent” no complaints at all. Back on the boat we had a few more drinks before bedtime.

Sunday. After a lazy morning doing next to nothing, some of the crew walked down to the entrance of Fowey to look at the house that Dawn French had purchased. It’s the first house on the left as you come into Fowey from the sea. It cost her £3million plus has to be updated.

We slipped our moorings at 11.30am motored out into a grey misty English channel. The wind was very light NW F/2 so we pulled out the Genoa. It was a very slow passage back. At about 1300hrs the wind had picked up to a F/ 3, we then pulled up the main and had a very good sail back to Rame HeadMap.

From there, we sailed close hauled up to Q.A.BMap where we dropped the sails then went onto the fuel berth. Then, it was back onto the pontoon to do the handover.

We had a meal on board before we all said goodbye and went home. Total NM 48

Queen Annes Battery  50.3648,-4.1298
Fowey  50.3349,-4.6323
Rame Head  50.3069,-4.2238
Queen Annes Battery  50.3648,-4.1298